Hey ho everyone! ♥
Here’s a recipe for everyone who loves cheesecakes and matcha!
Just a short explanation for those who don’t know what matcha is: green tea powder which can be used for drinks as well as food like matcha (green tea) latte or for different types of cakes.
This matcha cheesecake has a whole-grain cookie crumb pie crust (you can use every other type of cookies if you want), topped with cream cheese and mixed with matcha powder to create this beautiful color and delicious taste.
I used a matcha powder which was made in Japan and looked like this:
If you are lazy like me (😂) I would recommend buying green tea powder on Amazon if you don’t have time to go to a local Asian supermarket. They offer some really good green tea products.
This recipe is also suited for those who usually avoid any food or drinks containing matcha. The flavor of matcha in this cake isn’t that strong so I would recommend this for everyone who wants to try out something new!
This recipe is really easy and doesn’t need a lot of preparation (it only needs enough time to get ready in the oven).
I usually make desserts which aren’t too sweet because they are lighter and taste better (in my opinion), just like this one! The salt in the whole-grain cookie crumb pie crust adds a little spice to it and matches really well with the cheesecake layer.
So here’s the recipe for an absolutely delicious, not too sweet and really moist cake (which you should definitely try out by the way):
Matcha Cheesecake with Whole-Grain Cookie Crumb Pie Crust
- 2 Tbsp. Sugar
- 1/4 Tsp. Salt
- 4 Tbsp. Melted Butter
- 1 1/4 Cups Wholegrain Cookie Crumbs
- 680 g Cream Cheese e.g. Philadelphia
- 115 g Yogurt unsweetened
- 2 Tbsp. Matcha Powder
- 250 g Sugar
- 4 Eggs
- 1/4 Tsp. Vanilla
- Pinch of Salt
- 30 g Yogurt unsweetened
- 1 Tbsp. Powdered Sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (356°F). Mix cookie crumbs with sugar, salt and melted butter. Spread the dough onto a baking pan (I used one with 22 cm/8 inch ∅) and let it bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes.
- Mix the matcha powder with 1/4 of the yogurt until it is completely dissolved. Beat the cream cheese for 2 minutes and add the matcha mixture together with the rest of the yogurt and sugar. Gently fold in the eggs and add the vanilla paste.
- Pour the mixture onto the cookie base in the baking pan. In a separate bowl mix yogurt with powdered sugar and pour it drop by drop on top. With a toothpick or chopstick create swirls by circling in the form of the number eight.
- Put the baking pan in the oven and bake for 50 minutes until it's light brown. Let it cool down and put it in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
Hope you liked this recipe and I’m looking forward to your opinion on this cake. Don’t forget to share your favorite matcha recipes too! 😊